Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 8 Jan 18, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Gryffindor's on tour 2017 Day 1 8/8 Evan's birthday

So this morning I wake up at 4am. There were so many things whirling around in my head and a bit of anxiety there was no chance of me getting back to sleep. I grab my phone, iPad and notebook and head to the bathroom, the big downfall of a hotel, not having a living room to slope off to. Anyway I make myself comfortable in the bathroom on the floor with a few cushions. I dibb a little and update and moan about the missing wheelchair. It was such a shame as we had a lovely holiday ahead of us and it was tainted by me worrying about the blasted wheelchair. I was just so anxious in case they couldn't find the wheelchair.

Anyway over an hour and half later Dave, Evan and Jacob finally rise out of their pits. Evan opens all of his cards and a few gifts in bed as he turns the big 13 today! Finally a teenager! There was no Kevin moment because he's been acting like Kevin for a good while already

We head downstairs for the free breakfast provided by the Hyatt. I didn't take any pictures but it was really nice, there was a range of cereals, fruits, breads, muffins and hot skillets. We all filled up on a good breakfast.

I went over to reception and asked about a wheelchair being delivered, it hadn't. I also asked about a safe, there didn't seem to be one in the room. I was told there were safety deposit boxes in a locked room near to reception. I took all of our valuables and put them in the safety deposit boxes and was sent away with the key. I was really anxious about leaving all of out valuables there passports, money, etc and told Dave this. He just called me neurotic, men how considerate. I do worry over the most stupid things though. Anyway it was perfectly safe, I worry for nothing.

We headed back upstairs to the room which was really nice and spacious and had an accessible shower for Evan which I had requested. Both the kids had their own beds which was a big bonus, no midnight fights! We all had showers and got dressed for the day, we headed out in the car to Sawgrass Recreation Park. The satnav wouldn't recognise the address but luckily we could use Dave's phone who has the EE max plan so we could use it free in USA.

We got to Sawgrass and parked up at 8.45am, we headed into the shop to exchange our voucher for tickets and to book our time slot. We were put onto the first trip of the day and we had captain disco.

We were put with an American couple who didn't speak to us at all, they were very random in the hottest month in Miami they were wearing jeans and orange jumpers, both matching, they looked like they were on day release from prison 😂😂

Captain Disco was brilliant, he was really informative and found us a couple of alligators, both around 7ft long. The kids were both impressed and nervous in equal measures. Captain Disco was very good with them explaining that the gators like to preserve their energy and wouldn't attack unless provocked. Also apparently us humans taste too salty to the gators, good to know

Anyway we were all done and dusted on the boast by around 9.45am so we headed into the exhibit and all held baby alligators which we felt a bit sorry for with their mouths taped shut. The exhibit wasn't the best to be honest but we stayed for a bit and looked around.

We decided to head to Hollywood beach, have a little walk along the front and grab some lunch. Hollywood beach front was really nice and is ideal for anybody in a wheelchair with it's nice promenade, also ideal for hiring a bike or rollerblading along.

We arrived at Hollywood beach at 11.30am. There were a lot of disabled spaces dotted around and we luckily found one near the front. We had a little walk along and found a nice restaurant on the front called La Brochette. We ordered a large pizza, a small pizza and a pancake stack along with 4 diet cokes and 4 iced waters. The drinks did not come with free refills and was stated on the menu. It was all very nice and came to $42 including tip. I didn't take pictures as I forgot but I do get better with the food as time goes on. As we were sitting eating lunch Jacob kept complaining that's something 'stinks' and was dry heaving at the table so Dave took him to the toilet. There was no strange smell at all I think he was just hot and tired. We made a decision to head back to the hotel and have a little nap and refresh.

We got back to the hotel and Evan's wheelchair had been delivered finally 🎉🎉

We all headed to bed and had an hours nap, we woke up and had a few snacks which we brought from home. I took Jacob down to the pool for an hour whilst Dave and Evan stayed in the room to sort out the cases, well Dave did, Evan was on his iPad as usual, well it was his birthday! The pool was completely empty apart from Jacob but he has fun whilst I sat at the side catching up on social media and reading my book.

We went back to the room to get sorted and headed out to Walmart for some drinks and bits in the room, we found a small neighbourhood Walmart and headed in as we only wanted a few bits anyway. We got a few bottles of water, Coke Zero, cheetos, suncream and mouthwash for $31.

We then went for a little drive to try and find some inspiration for tea. We asked Evan repeatedly what he wanted as he could choose with it beingis birthday and he couldn't decide, like there was too many choices 😂. We decided on good old Steak 'n Shake a firm family favourite as you will find out during this report. Bang smack beside Steak 'n Shake was a big massive Walmart

In Steak 'n Shake me and Dave decided to share a turkey club and a garlic burger, Jacob had a grilled cheese and the birthday boy went for a hotdog and birthday milkshake, his first ever milkshake (he is really fussy eater) and he absolutely loved it! The first of many this holiday!

The bill came to $27 plus $6 tip, I left a cash tip on the table and paid at the counter but used the coupons app and once applied the bill came down to $22.29 bargain!

We went back to the hotel, got in our pj's watched s bit of TV and turned the lights off at 9.30pm.

It was a lovely relaxed start to the holiday, not too much action but just enough!

Edited at 10:32 PM.
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 18, 02:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Glad you got your wheelchair finally, that must have been a nightmare. X
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 18, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Flimsey
Very Serious Dibber

Flimsey's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Glad you got Evan wheelchair back, it must of been so stressful
Flimsey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 18, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
It sounds like your DS had a good birthday.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 18, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Originally Posted by Pussycat Doll View Post
Glad you got your wheelchair finally, that must have been a nightmare. X
It was a big weight off my mind

Originally Posted by Flimsey View Post
Glad you got Evan wheelchair back, it must of been so stressful
I hope it doesn't happen this year we are flying into Miami with AA again

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
It sounds like your DS had a good birthday.
He did have a good birthday, thank you. He'll be in Orlando this year for his birthday 🎉
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 18, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Flimsey
Very Serious Dibber

Flimsey's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I hope you have defrosted after football training 😀

Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again, I am sure won't.
Flimsey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 18, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Originally Posted by Flimsey View Post
I hope you have defrosted after football training 😀

Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again, I am sure won't.
Just about defrosted and typed up 2 days of my trip report! I'm on a roll after a few months hiatus x
Old 13 Jan 18, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

I’ve been looking at hotels in Hollywood beach, it looks really nice.
A nice chilled start to the holiday
Old 13 Jan 18, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Originally Posted by i love jack View Post
I’ve been looking at hotels in Hollywood beach, it looks really nice.
A nice chilled start to the holiday
Hollywood beach was lovely and I would definitely stay there in the future.
Old 4 Feb 18, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
boltyboy
Imagineer

boltyboy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
So glad you got the wheels back, nothing like being back in your own chair. A good day!

2020 canceled - 2018 - 2015- 2012 - 2004 - 1998 - 1995 - 1993
Has it really been 8 years? - Trip Index
August 2015-Trip Index
boltyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List